Monday, 18 October 2010

In search of the beloved...

This has to be one of the best poems I've ever read...Its originally by Sa'adi and was written in Persian...Its been translated in English...In order to give ya guys a flavour of the Persian, it is highly recommended that you watch and hear the Persian in conjunction with the English translation...Persian is such a beautiful language..





We are love wrecked and drunk! 
If you know a better state 
Speak! 

At the moments of my death, in longing
For you I die! in hope of becoming the dust 
The dust of your path, I shall part with my soul

At the dawn of judgement day, when I rise from
My ashes, I shall rise only to search for you, 
To speak of you! 

In the assembly of the lovers of both worlds, 
I shall look up to you, I shall be the servant of 
Your countenance! 

At the resting place of the eternity
If I sleep for a thousand years
In my eternal resting place I
Shall only be conscious of
The scent of your tress...

I shall not tell the tale of heavens, I shall not smell
Of the flowers of paradise and I shall not seek the face
Of the angels, for I shall only search for you! 

I shall not drink the heavenly wine off the hands 
Of the nymphs! 

What need I for the wine? 

For I am constantly intoxicated with 
Your countenance! 

At the moments of my death, in longing
For you I die! in hope of becoming the dust 
The dust of your path, I shall part with my soul

I shall not tell the tale of heavens, I shall not smell
Of the flowers of paradise and I shall not seek the face
Of the angels, for I shall only search for you! 


By Sa’di translation from Persian...



Source of translation: 

No comments:

Post a Comment