"Women joked amongst themselves: 'Why do you think a bride cries on her wedding day? It's for the love that this marriage is putting an end to for all eternity. Men may think a woman has no past- "you were born and then I married you"- but men are fools."
— Nadeem Aslam (Maps for Lost Lovers)
— Nadeem Aslam (Maps for Lost Lovers)
"You wander from room to room. Hunting for the diamond necklace. That is already around your neck!" Rumi
"Is there any reward for good - other than good?" Quran
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where----" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"----so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk enough."
Lewis Carroll, 'Alice in Wonderland'
"The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather to what he does not say." Kahlil Gibran
"All things considered, there are only two types of men in this world: those who stay at home, and those who dont." Rudyard Kipling
Anton: "I'm a gigolo."
Deuce: "Giga-wha..?"
Anton: "Women pay me to give them pleasure."
Deuce: "I shoulda killed my guidance councellor!"
Deuce: "Giga-wha..?"
Anton: "Women pay me to give them pleasure."
Deuce: "I shoulda killed my guidance councellor!"
"Everybody has a plan - until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
"A warrior of light always commits himself. He is enslaved to his dream but he is free in his steps."
Paulo Coelho
"We are the warriors of light. With the strength of our love, of our will, we can change our destiny, and the destiny of many others."
Paulo Coelho
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul."
Ernest Henley
Paulo Coelho
"We are the warriors of light. With the strength of our love, of our will, we can change our destiny, and the destiny of many others."
Paulo Coelho
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul."
Ernest Henley
"Love never fails, Character never quits, and with patience and persistance, Dreams do come true." Pete Maravich
Keep your words soft and tender because tomorrow you may have to eat them. ~Author Unknown
There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.
There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.
"I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and I am certainly not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination. "
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (Interpreter of Maladies)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (Interpreter of Maladies)
"Pet names are a persistant remnant of childhood, a reminder that life is not always so serious, so formal, so complicated. They are a reminder, too, that one is not all things to all people."
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
"Pet names are persistent remnant of childhood, a reminder that life is not always so serious, so formal, so complicated. They are a reminder, too, that one is not all things to all people."
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
"Though no longer pregnant, she continues, at times, to mix Rice Krispies and peanuts and onions in a bowl. For being a foreigner, Ashima is beginning to realize, is a sort of lifelong pregnancy-- a perpetual wait, a constant burden, a continuous feeling out of sorts. It is an ongoing responsibility, a parenthesis in what had once been ordinary life, only to discover that that previous life has vanished, replaced by something more complicated and demanding. Like pregnancy, being a foreigner, Ashima believes, is something that elicits the same curiosity from strangers, the same combination of pity and respect."
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
"My grandfather says that's what books are for," Ashoke said, using the opportunity to open the volume in his hands. "To travel without moving an inch."
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
"But she has gathered that Americans, in spite of their public declarations of affection, in spite of their miniskirts and bikinis, in spite of their hand-holding on the street and lying on top of each other on the Cambridge Common, prefer their privacy."
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
"These were things for which it was impossible to prepare but which one spent a lifetime looking back at, trying to accept, interpret, comprehend. Things that never should have happened, that seemed out of place and wrong, these were what prevailed, what endured, in the end."
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (The Namesake)
"There were times Ruma felt closer to her mother in death than she had in life, an intimacy born simply of thinking of her so often, of missing her. But she knew that this was an illusion, a mirage, and that the distance between them was now infinite, unyielding. "
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (Unaccustomed Earth)
~ Jhumpa Lahiri (Unaccustomed Earth)
No comments:
Post a Comment