Thursday, 12 August 2010
Ramblings of an empty stomach...
I have nothing better to do in the hour long lunch break in college. The thing about fasting here is that at every nook and corner there is something food related. I mean, in Pakistan, during the fasting time, every food shop is closed. Most of the people themselves are fasting. So the only reminder of the fact that you're hungry is the stomachs' hunger pangs (which sometimes take a very vociferous mode). However, UK is such a snacking nation. My God, on every desk in college there is a bag of minstrels, smarties and other such assortments which literally everyone is munching on. Even the healthy options i.e. pears, banana's and apples seem such a blessing when you see people munching on them. Another thing about fasting in a first world country is the all so ubiquitous smell of coffee emnating from EVERYWHERE. Its not as if you'll only smell it when you're passing infront of a starbucks, costa, cafe nero. The smell of a freshly brewed coffee is instilled in the whole damn air. Plus, you can't have an active brain whether for work or study without some sort of caffeine intake. Thats why I can't concentrate in class and just day dream like a zombie thinking of going back home and sleeping till iftari. Oh and did I forget telling that somehow its still summer-ish for people (note: females) here and the ankhon ka roza seems like a lost cause. For some reason, when you can't concentrate on what the instructor is bull-shitting and you feel like taking your mind off the fact that you're hungry, lets just say that "lowering the gaze" aspect of roza takes a back-row seat. Someone said that there is wisdom in an empty stomach. However, I think that in pardes, an empty stomach leads to an idle mind which as we know all so well is the "devils workshop" and that explains why the day dreams I referred to above involve bed, food and well Allah maaf karay...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment