
Its weird how we try to look for answers in far off places. However, if you contemplate and rationalise, you can learn so many wonderful lessons and comprehend the great mysteries of this world and the complexities of life by looking at your own surroundings...
So while I was getting ready to sleep today, it just struck me, that there are things in my room that in themselves remind me of so many lessons in life...While I lie down and look to the roof, it reminds me to aim high, to reach the top, to reach the apex of achievement, both in this world and the Hereafter...
Then I hear the clock ticking and it reminds me that every minute is precious and that I should make full use of the time that I have at hand and be productive, efficient and useful for my family, friends and people in general...Salvation lies in this...You know how they say that this life is an exam and I'm sure all of us remember moaning about having that extra 10-15 min for our exam and we could have passed or aced it...Yet we are heedless to the time remaining within this, most important exams of all, upon which our eternal life depends...What if a single day of being good could have tipped us from hell to heaven...We don't want to regret that...
Then I look at the mirror hanging in my room and it reminds me to reflect before I act...It reminds me that the outward appearances should reflect our inner selves, that my actions should reflect my intentions...It also reminds me to reflect on my happening of the day, to make sure that I don't sleep with the knowledge of hurting anyone or being a source of inconvenience...With regards to how I deal with others, I would reflect on how it would have felt, had I myself been in their shoes...I also realize that my actions are seen as the reflection of my fellow Muslims and my fellow countrymen and that helps me correct and take care of my image, both outwardly and inwardly...A friend once said that in order to gauge if you've really sinned or done something bad, just look at your reflection in the mirror...If you can tolerate yourself and look back without feeling guilty, you can sleep with peace...I think that philosophy holds true...
I look at the calendar and it reminds me to keep up to date, to move with the times, to stay in touch with today and work for tomorrow. It reminds me to plan yet knowing that all my plans are conditional on His will alone. It gives me hope for a better tomorrow, to look forward to birthdays and eids and happy occasions rather than living in the rut of past...Instead, I look at the pictures framed up or hanging on the walls from yesterday, and thank God for the memories and beautiful times and people I was blessed with...When I'm down, it reminds me that good times are only knocking on the doors and that the power of smiles lies in their permanence, in how they shine forth and are forever etched in our memories...
I look at the closet and realize how moms (in movies) use to tell their children about monsters hiding behind the closets and how we harbour our greatest fears behind the closets within our mind...Yet I've learned that the mental closets are the best places to dump our tensions and our fears and our issues...It isn't worth having these irrationalities stuffing up your mind...Ever heard of defragmenting the hardisk...Thats what the closet helps to do; to unclog and untangle the problems, fears, tensions into compartmentalized areas where they don't impede in our free thinking, our hopes and our aspirations...
I look back at the window behind my bed and realize that this is literally my window to the world, a beautiful world, filled with awe inspiring beauty, wonderful people, sights, sounds and experiences...I came, I saw and I want to conquer this world, not by some conquest but by living and experiencing its diversity, traveling through its vast expanses and befriending and helping its inhabitants, who, if you think carefully are all your extended family, children of the same Adam and Eve...The outside world and nature is filled with signs that all unequivocally point towards our Creator...The window invites me to go out and reach for Him through His countless signs...
While walking to the door, I feel the carpet underneath my feet and reflect on the fact that it is the ultimate reality that sooner or later we'll be six feet under this ground...So we should use this time to kneel down and pray to Him, as this very prayer will intercede for us while we are questioned about our life immediately after being buried underneath the ground...I reach the door to go outside and realize that this door is symbolic of so many things that I've learned from my room...That perhaps if I do all that I learned sincerely and to the best of my abilities, this door might be the door to heaven and eternal bliss, this door might be the door to peace of mind and heart or it might symbolize a door to exit away from problems, worries and cares of this world
I know this might not make much sence...These are just random thoughts that came to my mind while I was sitting in my room, trying to study...I've always had a keen sence of imagination...Today I used it to contemplate simple things that I never noticed within my room and I just felt awed by how much one can learn from simple things...Its just a matter of perspective and contemplation :)
No comments:
Post a Comment