I tried watching TV for like an hour or so before iftari...Thanks to sleeping with my mouth open my throat was dry and my stomach was rumbling like a jungle with world war III taking place between the left over aloo ki bhujjia, the paratha and the omelette...Like every great war, it was instigated by an event or a series of events and in this case the events were the ads and cooking shows that the Pakistani TV channels put on before iftari...I think they shouldn't be allowed or atleast shouldn't show 7 course meals being served like that in respect of people who are fasting...And its not as if they show just one or two, its a god-damn bombardment...A dalda ad followed by a sufi bansmati followed by habib cooking oil, followed by some kausar oil ad....Jeez louise!!! The themes are similar...They show a perfect family with the whole lot i.e. grand parents, kids, some random guests, the hubby, all being treated to some mano-salwa type heavenly food mostly deep fried and dripping in the oil being advertised...The basic message being portrayed to the bahu's, wives, potential future wives, mom's in laws out there is that their oil can bring, besides nutrition, harmony and bliss to their homes if food is made using it...Ha! Talking of oils, I remember a funny anecdote...I remember that once while going for grocery shopping on my own, I had to choose which oil to buy from Tesco...I recognized the one that my flatmate bought which was the normal olive oil but just besides it was the "extra virgin" olive oil and I just bought it coz I thought of a whole line I conjured up at that time...So when I got back home and my flatmate had his friends or as I call them "pious brothers" in at that time...So I put all the grocery where they were sitting in the lounge and said: for all ya virgins out there, I present to you the extraaaaaa (read the emphasis) virginnn olive oil brought to you especialllyyyy from the fields of Castilla in Spain to preserve and safeguard your virginity till ad infinitum just like it helped preseve the mummies of Egypt (at this point they got blinded by the sparkle of my smile, proper as they show in ads)...Obviously they thought I'd gone cuckoo but it was still fun....
Anyhow, of all the oil ads I love the theme of dalda, jahaan dalda wahaan mamta :D...did u notice that most of the oil brandnames have undertones of purity, love or piousness: sufi (we all know how pure and faultless sufis are known to be), habib (undertones of love) and so on...I think I should go back to hibernation again....
No comments:
Post a Comment