Monday, 10 August 2009

Brothers

Today my day began when I got this post on my facebook wall:

Thats nine big uns in your face =P
step back,the throne is mine naow =D

It was none other than my one and only younger bro...He did it!!! Finally...Got straight A's in his O'levels...I always had this guilt eating me from the inside that my parents ALWAYS end up comparing him with me in everything and I also realized that he hated me in his own special way...I guess it was partly my parents fault...If Charles Dickens were to write a book titled "Greatest Expectations", my dad would be one of the chief characters in it...He just doesn't get satisfied with what his offsprings achieve...He just keeps pushing them...Keeps asking for more...I remember when I got my straight A's in O'levels and out of sheer luck also got a few distinctions, he pointed out why don't you get the WORLD distinctions like so and so guy...Even in uni, he was constantly egging me on...He calls me up even now asking me whether I have enough preparation to get a "Gold medal" in the professional exams...I get so pissed off sometimes...But then I imagine how he must be with my brother and I feel ashamed...They always make his life miserable saying: "well your brother did it, why can't you...you eat the same, live in the same house, why can't you study the same way"...Even the teachers in our school knew him as my brother and I remember my mom and the teachers would have these long conversation in the parent-teacher meeting comparing his academics with mine...He loved playing football and reading novels etc and my dad would chastize him for wasting time in all this so called "fazool bakwas"...

As a result, my relations with my brother played out like a cold war... They were perennially cold and frosty...Our conversation used to be off hand random mutterings and he always seemed pissed at me...In a way, I also acted like a jerk which I now regret...However, now that I'm away, I think distances have made the hearts grow fonder...A friend also helped me realize this (for which I'll be forever grateful) and in the last few months, I feel relations between bro and I have thawed considerably...Simple, plain ol' bribing always helps...I successfully bribed him with cool football shoes and a nintendo wii...

So, I'm happy! I'm happy he's done it...I'm glad he's done it in a way better than me, without sacrificing his love for football and other extra-curricular activities..He's proven himself to my dad...I hope he exceeds my achievements in all the future milestones...I am proud of him...The thing is I can't still say all this out loud to him... Guys don't just get emo like this...Its against the bro code...I hope he doesn't get to read this blog until wayyy later, perhaps when I'm dead...I hope he just simply realizes it in the the silence of the unspoken word...Yet I've still typed all this mushy stuff to get the guilt out of my system...Finally, I hope it provides closure...I'll end this post with a quote:

A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams. ~Author Unknown


Oh, like always, I managed to find an equally mushy song fit for the occasion...It is "Hey Little brother" by Jonas brother :) [Ignore the vdo :P]

No comments:

Post a Comment