Thursday, 6 August 2009

An Observation

Lately, I have been trying to come up with this hypothesis that the level of country's level of socio-economic development can be judged by two factors namely the traffic and the level of sanity prevailing amongst its dogs. Why?

I remember when I came for the first time to the UK, I was so shocked by the fact that cars rarely honked at each other which was contrary to the common practice in Pakistan. You can't get from A to B in Pakistan without honking multiple times. Its not even due to some frustration that drivers have to vent out. You can literally get killed if you don't. Amongst the various possibilities: a rickshaw wala without side mirrors or a motorcycle with a family of 6 can come in front of your car. It is certainly a necessity to say the least.The traffic generally is haphazard, with people rarely following the rules, overtaking from the wrong sides, breaking traffic signals, over speeding and the likes.A great majority of the people never go themselves for the driving test and have some influential uncle or their dads' use "contacts" helping to deliver the driving license directly to them while they sit in the comfort of their homes. Although, there are fines in place for violations, most of the people get away by bribing or giving a nominal sum to the traffic policemen.

In contrast, traffic here flows much more smoothly. I've yet to hear someone honk :o. People give way. Pedestrians actually do have rights and are not considered targets to be run over. The fines are so hefty that one actually thinks a gazillion times before considering violating any rule. No one gets away, no matter how influential. There is traffic congestion and occasions where a driver might get frustrated but it still doesn't result in all hell breaking loose. Getting a driving license is considered quite a tough achievement and everyone, even the prime minister must pass the driving test before he can be considered safe to drive on the roads.In short, there is order, harmony and flow in the traffic of a first world country. I know, my experience is limited to merely two countries but I still base this hypothesis and will test it further if and when I get the chance to travel to other parts of the world (God Willing).

The second factor is based on the dogs I have observed here. I know that in Pakistan most of the dogs are either stray or guard dogs but still I've seen huge, ferocious dogs here that never bark at anyone and they seem to have a pleasant, sort of smiling demeanor. I must admit I'm scared of dogs. So many times, during my walks in Pakistan, I was barked upon by huge dogs locked behind gates. Some even run after you if you're unfortunate enough. I know of people who have been bitten back home. However, here they seem to have manners, are properly groomed and trained. I still get scared by them if they get too near but gradually I'm learning they don't mean harm (I hope I'm not proven wrong :S).

In short, well mannered dogs and the traffic of a country in a way does tell us how "civilized" and "developed" it is. At least that is my observation so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment