Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Wisdom lies in an empty stomach...or NOT?

I know I'm not writing any deep, original, pseudo philosophical stuff these last few days but its not my fault. Try keeping a roza without sehri, without any food or drink in the last 22.25 hrs. My dad always has the opposite view. He keeps on saying "khaali pait main hikmat hai" i.e. "wisdom lies in the empty stomach" but I just argue how can your brain work w/o any fuel, how can a processor in a PC operate w/o power or a vehicle without fuel but then he argues that the more food one eats the more active the nafs becomes. I then counter argue that perhaps that wisdom is some sort of deep religious spiritual knowledge which requires curbing the nafs.An empty stomach doesn't help in studying i.e. acquiring worldly knowledge. Perhaps the very nafs is appeased through our studies considering that it is worldly knowledge and helps us in our pursuit of "material" happiness.That's some food for thought.At least my thoughts are having food eh!!! I think I'm going loony now. But its worth wondering why someone came up with the phrase "food for thought".Perhaps he/she might be fasting as well.

I just came across these random shairs(more food for thought) by Ahmed Faraz after getting to know through Geo that it was his death anniversary today:

Na kar aitbar hath ki lakiroon ka
Taqdir to un ki bhi hoti hai jin k hath nahi hotay


Neend tau kia aai gee faraz
Maut aai tau sau lain gai


Ab ke ham bichharay tau shaayad kabhii khabon main milain
Jis tarah suukhe huay phooll kitaabon main milain


Har roz dil udaas hota hai or shaam guzar jaati hai "faraz"..
Ek roz sham udas hoga or hum guzar jaaynge..!


In Barishon sai dosti achi nahi faraz
Kaccha tera makaan hai kuch tau khayal kar

(Its not good to befriend the rain faraz..Your house is made of mud/clay, atleast be mindful of that (u dufus...faraz must have mumbled in his head)

No comments:

Post a Comment