Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Picture with a Caption....

I'm sure there isn't a single female out there in Pakistan who hasn't been subjected to the x-ray like ogling stares of random tom dick and haryy's or in Punjabi terms every maja saja in the markets, educational institutions, roads, streets etc...In local language, these people are called "poonds" and their staring sport is known as "poondi"...Literally every guy would have started indulging in poondi as soon as he hits puberty...Some people reckon its due to the segregated nature of our society where guys/gals don't have the opportunity to meet/interact openly...I still think it's the result of upbringing and to some extent genetic as well...In pardes, I've seen guys who've been raised and brought up here staring like anything...Plus its not gender specific...These staring games, glances or as some put it "line karwana" is carried out as much from the girls side as it is by the boys...Just simply consider the fact that whenever a girl notices that a boy is staring at her, that means she saw him and their eyes must have met for that...Its simply a national problem...We are just a nation of "starers"...Is it because of the fact that we don't know how to mind our own business or value others privacy or is it coz we just don't have anything better to do...For example, during my early days in UK, I felt so awkward sitting in the London tube where you're literally opposite to a row of seats with people sitting facing you...So, naturally, I tended to stare or atleast observe these people...I mean so many nationalities, so many different people, all sitting waiting to reach their destination...So, a friend noticing that just handed me a newspaper and said that its the best way to avoid irritating other people by falling pray to the stare game...Now that is what I do when I'm on a train or a tube...I just read a book or a magazine or solve a sudoku puzzle...If I'm walking, I just listen to something on my cell...That way you just remain aloof and don't delve into staring or poond-i-fyng (verb: act of poondi)...

However, having said that, I know that in Pakistan poondi will never end...Its the thing to do for teenagers and uni/college going young people...Its like these guys would only go out on weekends to Jinnah Super or Hotspot/Gellato for the sole purpose of Poondi, to check out the girls or vice versa...I guess its just something that people have to learn to live with...Its really odd for foreigners or people who've lived all their lives abroad to reconcile with...I think you just get immune or "desensitized" to it just like I'm now desensitized to what my friend would call the "nanga-manga-pan" of western society ;) :D



The above pic was on a friend's profile and the caption for it was: DEDICATED to all the past, present, junior and senior POONDS..Whose eagle eyes matched to those of a PREDATOR DRONE...In recognition of their achievement, dedication and having a Phd. in this intricate art, and for mastering the technique soooo well they all at least deserve a Sitara-i-Imtiaz...

No comments:

Post a Comment