Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Seasonal flu vaccine...worth the risk?!?!

Our office was offering free seasonal flu shots and I gladly registered for it but got kinda sorta scared when they acknowledged the registration and in-turn sent me a list of questions (which I frankly don't know much about)...Its like they're saying if you have any of the contra-indications, its your responsibility if anything goes wrong after the flu vaccine...

Their message:

Thank you for booking your appointment to have a flu vaccination.

Please read the contra-indications listed below and inform a member of the medical staff if any of the following apply to you before you have the vaccine:

* history of temperature, general colds / flu-like symptoms within the last 24 hours (what if I got a flu like symptom just hours before but didn't realize it was an active flu)

* history of immunosuppressive disorders / autoimmune illness / HIV (haha...who knows, pakistani barbers use blades for shaving the sideburns :S)

* have any allergies to food or medication, specifically gentamycin or formaldehyde (whatever that means, and idk :P)

* have had a previous reaction to medication or a vaccination in the past (what if i'm from a third world country and never had a vaccine like this) * have you received any live vaccinations within the last three weeks, i.e. yellow fever, polio, rubella? (yea, i can answer that :)

* are you taking any regular medication specifically immunosuppressive or cytotoxic drugs? (haha...like duh..do inhalers come under that?)

* are you pregnant or think that you may be pregnant? (Well, let me think...ermm, not in this livetime ;) You can receive a vaccine if you are pregnant but are advised to make the nurse aware of it. (will do next time I think i am )

You are advised not to receive the vaccine if:

* You are allergic to eggs
* You are allergic to products that contain chicken
* You have had a previous serious reaction to an influenza vaccine (OMG...so there is a possibility of having a serious reaction...im screwed :(


Please keep this email for future reference (Yeah this is proof, if anything goes wrong and I can sue your arses).

Do not reply to this message. Mail to this address is not monitored (Seems like a Pakistani government ministry)
Kind regards

Bupa Seasonal Flu Team


I think I'll probably have to Google all this stuff up when I go back home or perhaps call a cousin doc baji but the thing is, its always nearly midnight when I get back home...Anyhoo fingers crescented (:

No comments:

Post a Comment