Thursday, 12 November 2009

Poet of the month...Parveen Shakir (1st poem)

I have fallen in love with her poetry...She died an early death in a car accident in Islamabad...However, there is no doubt that she was the finest female poetess of Pakistan...This is the English translation of one of her poems:

WHERE AM I?

Where am I in your life? In the morning breeze or the evening star, hesitant drizzle or sharp rain, silver moonlight or hot noon, deep thoughts or casual tunes? Where am I in your life? Down from work, a weekend’s interval on a beach, or an unintended silken release between your fingers from serial smoke? Or a readily replenished, freshened moment without wine, or a moment’s leave, anonymous, between the breaking of one dream of love and another’s beginning? Where am I in your life?

-Parveen Shakir Translated from the Urdu by Alamgir Hashmi

No comments:

Post a Comment