Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Ripped off...

I thought people only ripped you off in Pakistan...but here they r(a)ipe u off :@...I mean when I returned from Pakistan, there was something wrong with the water boiler...like even if we turned it on boost for two hours, the water would still be ice cold...I have this thing that if I don't take a shower in the morning before work, I just can't function...Its a childhood defect...So, for three days basically I took ice cold showers and then I had my two week long away job during which I instructed my flatmate to contact the letting agents and ask them to send over some maintenance guy to fix the problem as is stipulated in our contract...The letting agent asked us to check this and check that and despite that if it isn't fixed by us then she would send over the maintenance guy but she warned us that if the problem is still "this or that", then we would have to pay the call-out charges to the maintenance guy...Anyhow, long short story, we couldn't quite figure out "this or that" and had no choice but to call the maintenance guy who came in our absence one dull and overcast day (which is the case most often these days)...He left a note saying he checked and the problem was actually "this and that" which we were warned to figure out ourselves...

The charge was, here it goes *drum roll*: 95 freaking pounds...No wonder British people came up with the shit surprised expression: "BLIMEY!!!"...I could have bought a new geyser/boiler in Pakistan with this sort of money and he didn't even have to fix anything, just set the timer of the boiler to two settings, one for morning and one for the evening....I felt like pulling out my hair...That wasn't all...I checked my bank statement and Amazon had debited 47 quids out of my account on its own just coz I had registered myself for a trial for one of their new "next day" delivery service whereby if u pay £47 for a year, you can have every order delivered to your home next day...I had registered for that service for an ipod I ordered recently...However, the good thing was that I could opt out of it which I did immediately...If I had ordered something w/o even knowing, I would not have got the refund...They basically withdrew the money without even informing in the shape of an e-mail or stating the fact that based on your recent trial we are taking "x" amount of money out of your account...Its crazy!!!

Sometimes the paindus who're new to online services in banking and shopping need to be careful of what they subscribe to or if they un-necessarily save their credit card details in order to avail "one-click" buying coz technology can easily bite one in the backside...Lesson(s) learned:

1) Learn stuff like how to fix heaters, boilers etc yourself.
2) Probably find a cheaper pakistani serviceman/maintenance guy if its too complicated
3) Regularly check bank statements to see if any online service has automatically deducted a charge
4) Don't subscribe to online services unless absolutely necessary
4) Blimey might actually be a sensible word afterall (:

Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment