Friday, 18 December 2009

First Snow of the season...

There's something intensely serene and peaceful about snowfall...Its in the way you watch it coming down infront of you and gradually fall onto the tip of your outstretched hands...The way it fills the whole city in this big white blanket of purity, as if all the dirt and filth is covered by this angelic, almost heavenly cover of purity...Somehow whenever I think of heaven, I think of the colour white or green...As if it would be in the midst of clouds, snow whiteness and meadows or pastures of greenery...Another thing you notice about snowfall is that its really quiet and silent compared to the spluttering sound of rain, unless there is a snow blizzard of course...I love snow fall...I still get that childlike excitement on seeing snow and feel this massive urge to have a snow fight...And I did the one thing that was missing on my taglist in an earlier post: I let a snow flake fall on my tongue...Was mazay ka ;)

There is one downside of having a snowday: the post snow slush on the roads...My flatmate sms'ed me that he slipped twice on the slush...It happened to me last year as well but then I used science to my advantage...The theory of "survival of the fittest" should now be changed to "survival of the dorkiest/nerdiest"...Basically there are two main steps that you should follow...Firstly, instead of walking full macho with long drawn out steps, you should walk with small weighed out steps, the kind which Tom would take in Tom & Jerry whenever he tried to sneak up on Jerry without being noticed or whenever he tried to avoid waking the nasty dog up...The scientific reasoning behind it is that our legs are like a lever on the ground with the whole fulcrum bit...So the more force you apply on a longer drawn out step, the more torque it generates as (Torque= Force x Length (from fulcrum)..So, that makes it easier for you to slip off on a slippery surface...Secondly you should try to walk with bent knees...The logic behind this is simple...Bending lowers your centre of gravity...This increases your stability...More stable=less likely to fall or slip and even if you do you can correct it instantly....Lastly always try to wear shoes with rough craggy tire like surface...I know there are special snow boots but you can't quite wear them to work plus it doesn't snow as much here as it does in places like Canada or US...So the craggy shoe surface ensures that the friction is such that the grip on the slippery surface is enhanced...So elimentary my dear watson's and sheeda's and meeda's...

That concludes our late night science lesson...Lets hope my gora friends here get to see their much favored white Christmas Inshallah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment