This isn't the political science concept of security and the zero sum game. Rather, its more of a psych analysis. Its merely an on-going observation that I've made about the insecurities inflicting men. I made them over the course of uni and now when most of my friends are out there in the practical world, I can add a few more things. Its not some expert opinion. I don't even know how to grade them in terms of any particular order. In some ways I guess they might be relevant to girls as well.
Men are increasingly conscious of their looks. I mean all of us know about the next generation of metro gentlemen with their gelled up spiked up, branded looks. What with them going to saloons for facials/threading etc. However, in the cosmetic sence the greatest worry of a male in his twenties would be to loose his hair. They keep obsessing about their receding hairlines...Some go as far as planning to have their hair transplant(s) done within the first two years of their jobs. Some take offense when you start calling them ganja or baldie...Its quite a sensitive issue...Things get even worse, if your hairline is not only receding but your hair is starting to grey out as well...But still, the biggest cosmetic insecurity for guys is the balding head.
The second biggest insecurity is financial insecruity. That kinda sorta makes sence. In a the materialistic world we live in, money can literally buy anything. It'll keep your family protected, well fed, educated and basically provide all the amenities of life to them. In the age group that I am, its important for guys to get financially stable and independent if they want to get married i.e. if they want some girls' parents to consider wedding off their daughter to them...Moreover, there are other ancillary insecurities that offshoot from financial insecurity like job insecurity, the drive for promotions, pay rises, professional jealousy etc.
The third biggest insecurity for men is viz-a-viz females...For Pakistani men, it starts when they are single and looking for potential future partners...Their biggest worry is the suspicion by default that what if they aren't their parters first love...What if she had a past??? What if she's not pure?? I'm sure the same insecurity would also be prevalent amongst girls about their partners coz frankly speaking guys screw around more and are bigger flirts...Once they get married Pakistani men tend to have these ego problems...Things like they don't like their partners to be more educated than them or earn more than them or be more influential/rooabdar than them...Its weird...Isn't everything better if its on an equal footing...For males in the west, its more about being/not being able to satisfy their partners physically...Its like what someone would call the virility/potency insecurity...I'm sure guys in Pakistan would have that too but that rarely comes in discussion...But if one Pakistani guy wants to insult another, he would call him "khassi" which is the equivalent of ball-less/castrated...Or they would make some sly remark to insult someone by belittling their man-hood if you know what I mean..
Anyhow, I guess that is just my brief take on what kinda insecurities plague my fellow men...Are there any I have missed out?
No comments:
Post a Comment